Greyhounds ‘Blaze’ past Huskies

Nathan Ham Sports Writer

August 26, 2013

Blaze Acord ran for 231 yards and three touchdowns against Ashe County last season, and equalled that on Friday night to help North Surry defeat the Huskies, 20-13.

Acord put the Greyhounds on the scoreboard with a seven-yard touchdown run with 4:13 left in the first quarter. The extra point kick bounced off the upright and was no good.

The score remained 6-0 through the rest of the first quarter and the entire second quarter. Both defenses were up to the task of keeping the opposition away from scoring opportunities.

The third quarter started with a big time defensive play from Ashe senior Matthew Hamilton. Hamilton made a diving grab on an interception to put Ashe in scoring territory.

However, the offense could not do anything and eventually saw the drive end with a fumble and a Greyhound recovery.

North Surry made Ashe pay with a 26-yard TD run from Acord, his second of the night. The extra point was good and the Greyhounds were ahead 13-0.

A scary moment took place late in the third quarter when North Surry player Bryan Martin was hit and stayed down on the ground until trainers and rescue squad members were able to safely put him in an ambulance for transport to the hospital.

Ashe finally got the ball rolling offensively to start the fourth quarter. Junior quarterback Connor Bowers threw a 50-yard bomb to wide receiver Maison McNeill with 10:56 remaining in the game. Kendall Richardson’s extra point was good to pull the Huskies within one touchdown at 13-7.

Acord ran wild again on the next series, capping off a quick scoring drive with a 52-yard touchdown scamper down the sidelines. North Surry jumped ahead, 20-7.

The Huskies were not going to go down quietly. The passing game was once again on point, this time with Bowers tossing a deep strike to Jacob Worley that put Ashe on the 16-yard line.

Bowers ended the drive with his second TD pass of the night, an 11-yard toss to Michael Elliott. The extra point was blocked, but Ashe was still just seven points behind at 20-13 with 3:59 left in the game.

Ashe needed a stop on defense, but the Greyhound rushing attack was too much. With 1:26 left, Acord ripped off a 50-yard run to ice the game and help run out the clock.

Bowers finished the game completing 14 of 28 passes for 217 yards and a pair of touchdowns. McNeill was the leading receiver with five catches for 132 yards and a touchdown.

The Huskies (0-1) will keep the non-conference slate of games going this week when they host rival Watauga on Friday. This also marks the first home game of the year.