By Alan Bulluck email@example.com
April 13, 2014
The Ashe County Democratic Party held its annual convention at the Ashe County Courthouse on Saturday, April 5.
N.C. Commissioner of Insurance Wayne Goodwin stopped by on his way to the Allegheny County Democrats’ convention.
Goodwin was not scheduled to speak, but contacted county party chairperson Melba Jones to ask if he could on his way to Allegheny County.
Goodwin thanked those in attendance and encouraged them to start organizing in advance of the upcoming primary and general elections. He reminded them that while both houses of the General Assembly are controlled by Republicans, Democrats still control a majority on the Council of State. He also said N.C. is a “laughing stock” when it comes to environmental policies.
In addition to Goodwin, the following elected officials and candidates also spoke to the gathering:
• U.S. House of Representatives District 5: Michael Holleman (Holleman’s daughter spoke for him).
• N.C. House of Representatives District 93: Sue Counts and Jim Sponenburg.
• Board of Commissioners: Richard Blackburn, Larry Dix, Lynn Graham, Cabot Hamilton and Dan McMillan.
• Sheriff: James Williams (incumbent).
• Register of Deeds: Deatt Roten (incumbent).
Nancy Henry, Polly and Ralph Jones, Mary Carole and Roy Elmore, Johanna Gorham, Mary and Richard Blackburn, Dale Baldwin, Roy Carter, Diane Goss, Patty Wheeler and Jones all volunteered to serve as delegates to the district convention in Statesville, on May 17, and the state convention in Raleigh, on June 7.
Roten and Becky Mann were selected as alternates to both conventions.
The primary election for all offices up for grabs in 2014 is Tuesday, May 6.
Alan Bulluck can be reached at (336) 846-7164 or on Twitter @albulluck.