Last updated: March 19. 2014 2:42PM - 2139 Views
Wil Petty jpetty@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

A mobile home on 171 Bina Drive near Lansing was destroyed following an electrical fire at 6:51 p.m. Sunday evening, according to Ashe County Fire marshal Bob Davis.

“The fire started out of the electrical box on the property,” he said. “It was an old double-wide.”

One of Lansing’s volunteer firefighters lives next door to the property, according to Davis.

A family with three children lived in the manufactured home and were referred to the American Red Cross for help, Davis said.

The fire totaled the double-wide, and Davis said there is no way the structure, or the items left inside can be salvaged.

“Over half of the home remains in tact, but what the fire doesn’t affect, the water usually does,” he said.

The structure had an extremely steep driveway, which meant it could only be accessed by four-wheeled drive vehicles. Davis said the doublewide belonged to David Miller, who was renting it out.

Davis said it took approximately 2 hours to get all parts of the fire contained.

Bina Drive is located off N.C. 194 between Lansing and Warrensville.

The responders to the scene were the New River, Lansing and Warrensville volunteer fire departments.

Wil Petty can be reached at (336) 846-7164 or on Twitter @WilPetty.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

West Jefferson Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com