The Ashe County Lady Huskies wrapped up its first conference championship in school history on Monday night with a 9-0 mercy rule win at Alleghany.
This victory also guarantees the team at least one playoff game at ACHS.
Candi Sanchez led the way with two goals scored. Tyler Eller, Chrissy Simmons, Taylor May, Mac Church and Melissa Ramos also added one goal each.
A pair of junior varsity players also got a chance to score. Giana Federico and Rae Zeller found the back of the net as the starters got plenty of rest to prepare them for the upcoming 2A state playoffs.
Ashe is now 13-6-1 overall and 12-1 in the Mountain Valley Athletic Conference.
The Lady Huskies are scheduled to wrap up its regular season with a game at home against Wilkes Central (Wednesday) and at Watauga (Thursday).
Ashe’s first round playoff opponent will be made official this weekend when the brackets will be released.
Most recent MVAC Standings
1. Ashe County: 13-6-1 overall, 12-1 conference
2. Elkin: 12-3-3 overall, 9-2-2 conference
3. West Wilkes: 13-6 overall, 9-3 conference
4. Wilkes Central: 7-8-2 overall, 7-2-2 conference
5. East Wilkes: 6-10-1 overall, 4-8 conference
6. Starmount: 4-12-1 overall, 3-8-1 conference
7. North Wilkes: 4-12-1 overall, 2-9-1 conference
8. Alleghany: 0-12 overall, 0-12 conference
*Nathan Ham can be reached at (336) 846-7164 or on Twitter @NathanHam87