The total space of the original building has been doubled and the entire facility is now handicap accessible. An elevator is available to access the second floor containing Hensley Fellowship Hall and a commercial kitchen and music room. The newly renovated sanctuary and the nursery are located on the second floor as well as the gathering room.
The beautiful and airy Hensley Fellowship Hall seats in excess of 300 people and the kitchen will support food preparation for this size gathering. Groups are welcome to reserve space in the hall for meetings, receptions, family reunions, all types of social events. People using the facility for weddings, funerals or other occasions have access to the gathering room for receiving and visiting with friends.
The music room provides space for choir rehearsal and various other uses. The integrity of the original architecture has been returned to the sanctuary; the stained glass windows, tin ceilings, and wood floors have been preserved. New pews and pulpit furnishings complete the renovation of this space. The historical stained glass windows have been completely rebuilt and the choir loft enlarged to seat as many as 50 members.
The first floor of the church provides office space for the pastor and other personnel along with meeting rooms and classrooms for Christian education and other purposes. Connected to the activity room on the lower floor is an outdoor playground for young children.
A columbarium is available for those desiring cremation as a final arrangement.
The original West Jefferson United Methodist Church building was erected between 1921 and 1922, and an educational building was added between 1950 and 1954 when renovation of the sanctuary occurred. This present renovation and expansion is the first major building project undertaken by the membership since that time.
Guided tours will be provided into all areas of the building and any questions about the building phases will be gladly answered, including information about memorials and remembrances. Refreshments will be served in Hensley Hall.
The church is located at Second Street and College Avenue just up from Jefferson Avenue in downtown West Jefferson.