Richardson leads Guilford to win over Randolph College
by Nathan Ham
Guilford College freshman Zeb Richardson scored 11 points and blocked two shots in 23 minutes to help the Quakers beat Randolph College, 69-65.
Richardson was one of three double-figure scorers for the Quakers on Wednesday. Matt McCarthy led the way with 16 points and Will Freeman added 15 points off the bench.
Guilford shot the ball very well from the field, connecting on 51-percent of its shots.
Randolph held a slim 36-33 lead at the half before Guilford got things rolling in the second half to get the victory.
On Saturday, Guilford saw its nine game winning streak come to an end against Old Dominion Athletic Conference foe Washington & Lee. The Generals pulled the upset over the Quakers, 62-58.
Richardson played 25 minutes and dealt with a bit of foul trouble along the way, but still scored eight points and grabbed right rebounds. McCarthy led all Quaker scorers with 20. Josh Pittman added 17 and Jake Hopkins notched a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
The Quakers are now 14-3 overall and 6-2 in the ODAC. Washington & Lee improved to 9-8 overall and 4-4 in conference action.
Guilford has three games remaining in January. The Quakers host Lynchburg this Wednesday before traveling to Hampden-Sydney on Saturday, Jan. 26 to start the second half of the conference season. Guilford wraps up the month at Roanoke on Wednesday, Jan. 30.
As the team nears the midpoint of the season, Virginia Wesleyan remains undefeated at the top of the ODAC standings.
Old Dominion Athletic Conference standings
1. Virginia Wesleyan: 12-4 overall, 8-0 conference
2. Hampden-Sydney: 15-2 overall, 7-1 conference
3. Guilford College: 14-3 overall, 6-2 conference
4. Randolph College: 14-2 overall, 6-2 conference
5. Lynchburg: 14-3 overall, 5-3 conference
6. Bridgewater: 10-7 overall, 4-4 conference
7. Randolph-Macon: 9-8 overall, 4-4 conference
8. Washington & Lee: 9-8 overall, 4-4 conference
9. Eastern Mennonite: 10-7 overall, 3-5 conference
10. Emory & Henry: 3-12 overall, 1-7 conference
11. Roanoke: 7-10 overall, 0-8 conference
12. Shenandoah: 3-14 overall, 0-8 conference
Reach at or 336-846-7164.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices