Domske scores 100th goal
Aspen Domske’s 100th career goal was the only goal Ashe would score, but it was enough to hold on for a 1-0 victory over visiting West Wilkes.
Domske’s first half tally not only added on to her school record of career goals, but also set a new single-season mark with 46 goals this year.
Ashe’s defense was up to the task of holding on to that slim lead the rest of the way. West Wilkes had very few scoring chances, and what shots they did get on target were stopped by Ashe goalie Chrissy Simmons.
The Lady Huskies had a few chances late in the match to extend the 1-0 lead, but came up short. Ashe had a free kick from Olivia Brettschneider in the 73rd minute, then had a pair of corner kicks after that, but could not score.
Domske nearly scored another goal in the 78th minute, but a diving stop by West Wilkes goalkeeper Natalie West kept the Blackhawk deficit at just one.
The final two minutes of play went by without a scoring threat from West, giving Ashe its 13th victory of the season. The Lady Huskies are now 13-3-1 overall and 13-2 in the Mountain Valley Athletic Conference.
Ashe is expected to wrap up the regular season on Thursday night at Wilkes Central.
*As of April 29
1. Forbush: 19-0 overall, 14-0 conference
2. Ashe County: 13-3-1 overall, 13-2 conference
3. Wilkes Central: 11-5 overall, 11-3 conference
4. West Wilkes: 10-9 overall, 10-5 conference
5. Elkin: 7-11-1 overall, 7-8 conference
6. Starmount: 5-12 overall, 5-9 conference
7. East Wilkes: 4-14-1 overall, 2-11 conference
8. North Wilkes: 2-15 overall, 1-13 conference
9. Alleghany: 1-15 overall, 1-14 conference
Reach at or 336-846-7164.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices